star Kabayan Noli De Castro OVP
Press Release
Photo Gallery
Back to home page

V Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC)

V National Anti-Poverty Commission (NAPC)



Kabayan Forum


                                                                                                           Ms. Ronadale Zapata



Biggest relocation project successfully completed in less than a year
30 November 2005

VICE-President and Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC) concurrent chairman Noli ‘Kabayan’ De Castro said yesterday he is willing to meet more deadlines as long as they would benefit the Filipino people.

De Castro made the statement after reporting that the relocation of families affected by the Northrail Project in Bulacan has already been completed.

Meaningful deadline

“Meaningful deadlines like the relocation program are challenging. This is why I devoted most of my time in relocating poor families from the railways to their new homes in Bulacan,” he said.

In his report to the Cabinet on the status of the Northrail relocation, the President congratulated the Vice President and NHA for facilitating the relocation of 18,644 informal settler families along the R-O-W of the Metro Manila and Bulacan alignment in less than a year.  The President noted that this is the biggest relocation project in history. 

The figure represents 96 percent of the total number of families subject for relocation. The remaining 4% will be completed by December 10, so that the entire 32 kilometer alignment could be turned over to the North Luzon Railway Corporation for the North Rail Project. 

During his inspection in Bulacan later in the afternoon, De Castro said HUDCC is now ready to begin relocation procedures in Pampanga.

Other deadlines

The Vice President also issued the statement amidst persistent queries regarding the deadline set by the Black and White Movement and other groups calling for him to decide whether or not to continue his support for the present administration.

De Castro said he has plenty of deadlines at present but he is prioritizing those that would best serve the interest of his constituents especially the poor.

“I respect the political views of these groups but what I know is that the people through the constitution has given me until 2010 to serve as their vice president. That is my ultimate deadline for now,” De Castro said.

Earlier, De Castro said he remained firm on his stand to support the Constitution and the rule of law, particularly on the issue of presidential succession.

At the same time, he urged public officials, both active and resigned, to focus on their jobs so that more meaningful deadlines can be met and beaten.

“I do believe that we can fight poverty and homelessness if we could only minimize, if not totally stop, too much politicking in the country,” he added.

Ref. VPMEDIA 05-185                                                                                             HOME | back-to-top

© Copyright 2005 Office of the Vice President (OVP) OVP MISD Management Information Services Division (MISD). All rights reserved.